• Partners
  • News & Press
  • Our Business

    The analysis is simple:

    • By 2050, we will have to increase global food production by more than 70% to face up to the needs of our planet’s population. And this, with only 5% more agricultural land.
    • Today, farm animals consume 20% of the world’s protein, in direct competition with human consumption, while fish, water and soil resources are dwindling.

     

    To feed the planet of tomorrow, we need to massively increase protein productivity today. As the FAO [1] has pointed out, the insect could be one of the solutions.

     

    [1] FAO report “How to feed the world in 2050”.

     

    Ÿnsect contributes to this global challenge by offering an effective, natural and sustainable solution: producing more food with less. Thus, unlike traditional animal feed, the production of insects :

     

    • Requires 100 times less agricultural land for 2lb of protein than 2lb of animal protein
    • Consumes 25% less water
    • Does not use antibiotics

     

    Since its creation in 2011, Ÿnsect has been breeding and processing insects into premium ingredients for animal nutrition. We develop innovations to breed insects on a large scale and automate processes to transform insects into raw materials of the highest quality. Our know-how is unique in the world and makes ÿnsect an essential partner for food industry professionals, research laboratories, investors and public institutions.

    The Molitor: an excellent insect for premium nutrition

    As the fishing industry introduced the term aquaculture, we introduced our own :  coleoculture. This term corresponds to the breeding of beetles, the most important biodiversity among insects. The mealworm is naturally present in Europe and scattered around the world for a long time. It is a gregarious and nocturnal specie, which facilitates its breeding. This insect has been widely studied by scientists, and enthusiasts are already breeding it around the world.

    Among the beetles, Ÿnsect chose two species : the Tenebrio molitor and the Alphitobius diaperinus, also known as Molitor mealworm and Buffalo mealworm. These insects has been known and bred for several decades for pet markets, zoos and fish feed and today for human consumption. Mealworm is composed of 72% high quality proteins, contains nutrients essential to human, animal and plant health such as omega 6 polyunsaturated fatty acids and vitamins.  

    Processed into flour, our insects can be used as proteined ingredients for human food in various forms such as pasta, bread, biscuits, burgers…  

    Why Mealworms ? 

    • It is the only insect protein that shows considerable performance on the growth and health of animals: 40% less mortality in farmed fish compared to natural nutrition. 
    • Mealworm frass makes an excellent natural fertilizer for plants and crops: up to 35% more yield without fertilization.
    • Highly digestible premium ingredient.
    • Studies on mice showed a dramatic reduction in cholesterol when fed insect meal. By substituting casein (milk protein) with Ÿnsect product in their diet, the cholesterol concentration in the liver and plasma significantly decreases (up to 60%), as does TGA triacid glycerol – (study by the Justus-Liebig University of Giessen in Germany).

    The Fermilière, our vertical insect farm

    Insects are known for their ability to produce complex and efficient structures. For example, an anthill has a network of tunnels that lead to niches superimposed on each other where eggs, larvae and adults are stored vertically. These tunnels are optimized to allow a continuous flow of air that ventilates the entire structure.

    We were inspired by it to develop our concept of vertical Molitor farms : our Fermilière

    We breed and transform our insects in France, in Dole in the Jura, and in the Netherlands, in Ermelo. We are currently building the world’s largest facility in Poulainville, one hour from Paris.

    The juvenile insects are fed and grow for several weeks in optimal conditions. When the Molitor larvae reach maturity, 95% of them are steamed, sterilized and then transformed into proteins and premium oil, without any addition of chemical compounds.  The remaining 5% become adults and reproduce to ensure the renewal of the juvenile population.

    Traceability, naturalness and durability guaranteed

     

    The responsibility of our company applies to the entire livestock chain: from responsible sourcing from our local suppliers, to the well-being of insects during breeding, to the recovery of all insect components to be “zero waste” on our farms, and of course to the quality of the relationships we maintain with all of our stakeholders.

    Our insects are fed with what they consume naturally, i.e. mainly field crop co-products, such as wheat bran. We guarantee full traceability.