Research assistant (M/F) – Zelcor Project
Zelcor is a BBI-JU funded project involving a large public and private parternship (http://www.zelcor.eu). This project intends to demonstrate the feasibility of transforming lignocellulose recalcitrant side streams (lignocellulosic residues from ethanol production, lignins dissolved during pulping and lignin-like humins formed by sugars conversion) into high added-value bio-based products, including fine chemicals. This will be achieved by combining chemical and enzymatic catalysis with insect-based bioconversion.
Ÿnsect is leading the work package WP4 in the Zelcor project, in collaboration with INRA and UPEC. The WP4 aims to develop a bioreactor to convert lignin rich by-products into valuable products both by rearing termites and by culturing microbial consortia isolated from termites gut.
The candidate will contribute to the development of the termite bioreactor, by carrying out the following tasks:
– Rearing termites colonies and make them grow larger,
– Upgrading the design of the termite rearing unit,
– Undertaking experiments and setting up methodologies to take data and assess key parameters,
– Supplying large among of termites for transformation in high added-value bio-based products,
– Emulating the reproduction and production units of the termite bioreactor by computer modeling.
Master degree preferably in agronomy, biology, bioinformatics,
– 1 to 5 years of professional experience, ideally,
– Experience in termites or social insects, or insects biology and rearing,
– Skills in modelling (python), ideally,
– Autonomy, good interpersonal abilities, initiative, taste for experimentation, affinity for teamwork;
– Interest for sustainable development and environmental care;
– Well command of English spoken and written